Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell is a sensational book. If you're looking for a book summary of 10 of the best ideas, click this link: https://youtu.be/iUcxOcODrOo
Outliers stand out from the crowd, they make up the most successful people in the world. Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell studies the outliers in this earth and finds out what made them all successful.
You would think it's hard work, or natural ability, but there's more to it than that. Often times the "outliers" were given special opportunities to develop that not everyone got. They did work hard, just like all outliers had to put in the deliberate, 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to be exact. However there are a few cases in the book, and some examples I share in this book review of the 10 best ideas of Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell that show sometimes your advantages, may not be advantages at all, your IQ being one case.
There are so many amazing ideas and stories in this book, and Malcolm Gladwell is a gifted writer, but here are 10 ideas from the book, Outliers: The Story of Success that we discuss in this book review video...
1. The importance of community (Rosetto, Pennslyvania and decreased heart disease)
2. 10,000 hour rule (the violin study of three types of violinists)
3. Deliberate practice (K. Anders Ericsson's 4 components that make up deliberate practice)
4. Don't expect to be good right away (A personal example of me giving up on the guitar)
5. You just need to be good enough (An IQ of 120 seemed to be the cutoff for being intelligent enough to win a Nobel Prize, having IQ over 120 did not increase your probability of winning a Nobel Prize, same scenario with the height's of basketball players)
6. Convergence vs. Divergence tests (Standard IQ tests and a test asking you all the ways you can use a brick)
7. The importance of practical intelligence (Chris Langan vs. Robert Oppenheimer)
8. Entitlement leads to success (comparing the upbringing of children in different socioeconomic classes)
9. The importance of diligence (Results of filling out tedious questionnaire determined a student's success in math. Their IQ and schooling didn't matter)
10. How to become the tallest tree
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell is a must read. I've gone through it a couple times and took a lot of notes this go round. I wanted to make a book review on Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, to sell you on how good the book is, and if you've read it already, to get a refresher on 10 ideas from the book.
If you're interested in reading Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell here is a link to purchase it: http://amzn.to/2wQiWKF
Please leave a comment below sharing you favorite idea from this video, something from the video or book you disagreed with, or anything I left out that you'd like to share with the community.
Subscribe today to learn, laugh, and love!
Here's the link to a free audio version of my best selling book "Awesome in Hours"
If you liked this video and want more videos like it I make videos each week and will be taking video suggestions from you.
Subscribe today by hitting the link below...
If you enjoyed this video..here is the link to share with your friends!
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell Book Summary