Jewish presence in Barcelona dates back to ancient times.
After 1391, Barcelona's Jewish community technically ceased to exist and its members were dispersed.
The Catalan word "call" refers to the area where the Jews lived. Sephardic communities living in exile, did use the Hebrew word cal (or cahal) to designate the communal meeting place.
The site of the older Call of Barcelona - the Call Major .