The Internet of Things is undeniably here. In the last year we have heard tell of of security cameras, dishwashers and even ovens roaming the internet unsupervised.
As a consultant and writer specialising in the Internet of Things, I have worked to bring my experience from 20 years in manufacturing and internet security to the IoT world. This presentation will cover the tools and techniques I use to build secure, reliable and rapidly updatable IoT devices.
The techniques covered are applicable to both the simplest embedded devices with no general-purpose OS, and more powerful devices running Linux or Windows.
Part 1, architecture and coding:
* Using containers (docker) in the embedded world (and simple equivalents for less capable platforms)
* Applying Continuous Integration and automated testing to embedded devices
Part 2, deployment and maintenance:
* Using the open-source SaltStack platform to provision IoT devices. I introduce a framework (https://github.com/unixbigot/kevin) which has been developed for use in my IoT projects
* Examples of using cloud frameworks for IoT management: Amazon AWS, Resin.io, Google Android Things
Part 3, Monitoring, Command and Control:
* Tracking your device behaviour with SaltStack and Elastic Search
* Updating your devices in the field
* Tips and techniques for device longevity