Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from the sales of his books, DVDs, and speaking engagements go to support the 501c3 nonprofit that runs NutritionFacts.org.)
DESCRIPTION: The association between cancer and the consumption of deep-fried foods may be due to carcinogens formed at high temperatures in animal foods (heterocyclic amines and polycyclic hydrocarbons) and plant foods (acrylamide).
My 2008 video can be found here Acrylamide in French Fries (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/acrylamide-in-french-fries-2/).
More on Heterocyclic Amines:
• Estrogenic Cooked Meat Carcinogens (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/estrogenic-cooked-meat-carcinogens/)
• PhIP: The Three Strikes Beast Carcinogen (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/phip-the-three-strikes-breast-carcinogen/)
• Reducing Cancer Risk in Meateaters (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/reducing-cancer-risk-in-meateaters/)
• Heterocyclic Amines in Eggs, Cheese, and Creatine? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/heterocyclic-amines-in-eggs-cheese-and-creatine/)
There are some things we can do to counteract the effects of these carcinogens, though:
• Cancer, Interrupted: Green Tea (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cancer-interrupted-green-tea/)
• Cancer, Interrupted: Garlic & Flavonoids (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cancer-interrupted-garlic-flavonoids/)
• Prolonged Liver Function Enhancement From Broccoli (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/prolonged-liver-function-enhancement-from-broccoli/)
I touch on polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in Meat Fumes: Dietary Secondhand Smoke (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/meat-fumes-dietary-secondhand-smoke/) and Is Liquid Smoke Flavoring Carcinogenic? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-liquid-smoke-flavoring-carcinogenic/)
Certain fats may play a role in breast cancer survival as well:
• Breast Cancer Survival, Butterfat, and Chicken (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/breast-cancer-survival-butterfat-and-chicken/)
• Breast Cancer Survival and Trans Fat (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/breast-cancer-survival-and-trans-fat/)
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cancer-risk-from-french-fries/ and he'll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/
• Subscribe: http://http://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate